Monday, September 10, 2012

this is the sound of settling

The thing about Toledo, Spain is that it's real. And I'm living here for a semester. No really...
...I'm living in a magic princess kingdom this semesester.
 
In Spain, they speak Spanish.  You know what's hard? Small talk.  You know what's even harder? Small talk with a family with whom you're living for a semester--in Spanish.  When you've only been taking it for two years.  And have just signed a agreement saying that you're only going to speak to fellow students and locals until December.  So there's that. 
 
 
But it really is helping me appreciate the value of mastering a language.  I love learning words, even in English, but when I learn a new word or phrase in Spanish and finally use it correctly it's not pride or fascination I feel--it's relief. This word will help me tell someone else what I need or what I did today or how I'm feeling or, eventually at least, how they make me feel.  Language barrier is a real thing; you can almost physically feel it's constricting, encapsulating power.  Wearing it down allows you to breathe a little more deeply.  One word at a time. 
 
Cerveza means beer.  Sometimes, it helps you speak Spanish better.  The bartenders at O'Brians or Enebro or Legendario most likely have a little more faith in my Spanish speaking skills than, say, my teachers or host parents or fellow students. 
 
Teachers--ah that's right. I'm studying here this semester. Granted, it will be a little different from school in the past.  I'm not taking one science class.  In fact, I'm not taking one class towards either of my major requirements.  I have one class on Monday and it starts at 4:55 pm.  Also, there is no peanut butter to take spoonfulls of when I'm awake studying in the wee hours of the morning.  None. In the entire country.  But even getting into the groove of things is helping make me feel a little more at home.  Well, maybe "at home" is even too strong of a phrase at this point--I guess it's more like finding tiny things parallel to my American life that at least put a smile on my face.  I'm running again  (the picture above was taken yesterday during my run whatttt).  I go to Mass in an overwhelmingly beautiful establishment.  I relax with my family on Sundays.  The Fresh Prince of Bel Air is still funny in Spanish.  Things are pretty much the same, no?
 
I mean, no.
 
But as my incredibly adorable 4-year old host brother said yesterday in reference to completing a Toy Story puzzle, "¡Es difícil, pero será posible!" It's hard, but it's possible. 
 
Just the inspiration I needed.  

No comments:

Post a Comment