Saturday, September 1, 2012

the red lights mean you're leaving

Greenville-Spartanburg airport for the second time in less than a month.  Not much has changed since I began frequenting this quaint establishment since the early 1990s, except for the addition of free Wi-Fi (who knew) and a discount airline (which is kind of a big deal).  The decor looks like it was modeled after a jacket that Will Smith sported on the Fresh Prince of Bel Air and can only be decribed as #bacon (actually that doesn't clarify much. I may explain at some point, but probably won't because sometimes that description makes people angry.)

Not much has changed at all.  Not even the lump-in-throaty feeling I always got as a kid when leaving this place for a month, Manila-bound.  This is the fifth time I've left here, knowing I won't be home for an entire semester, and I still can't shake it.  Maybe that's a good thing.  In fact, I hope I always do get a little choked up. 

Irish music is playing for some bizarre reason, reminding me that I'm not in Dublin pre-gaming for the Emerald Isle Classic with some people I kind of like, which is exactly where I want to be.  But I'm headed somewhere, and there's half-smile on my face because of it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment