Tuesday, September 18, 2012

And on the Third Day...

(or third Mass she attended in Spain)

...she finally understood the reading even though it was in Spanish. And it happened to be 1 Cor 12: 12-14. 27-31. And that happened to be the same reading she heard at Mass every Friday this past summer before she lead the congregation in psalm.  And then every feeling of unbelonging dissolved and she was left with that kind of joy that makes you want to smile until you cry. And she thought of this:
and remembered that they were just freaks like her.
 
And so were the people standing to the left and right of her. And so were the paintings of the people on the walls of the tiny church, concentrated with elegance.  And decided she was exactly where she needed to be at that moment. 
 
 
 
And then she had some Tinto de Verano and danced her little heart out as she learned to flamenco.
 
 
Brothers and sisters:
As a body is one though it has many parts,
and all the parts of the body, though many, are one body,
so also Christ.
For in one Spirit we were all baptized into one Body,
whether Jews or Greeks, slaves or free persons,
and we were all given to drink of one Spirit.

Now the body is not a single part, but many.

Now you are Christ's Body, and individually parts of it.
Some people God has designated in the Church
to be, first, Apostles; second, prophets; third, teachers;
then, mighty deeds;
then gifts of healing, assistance, administration,
and varieties of tongues.
Are all Apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers?
Do all work mighty deeds? Do all have gifts of healing?
Do all speak in tongues? Do all interpret?

Strive eagerly for the greatest spiritual gifts.

1 comment:

  1. This afternoon when I was at Mass, I found myself singing Go Out to All the World in my head. And I thought of you. I thought it had just randomly come to me. And now I realize why it really came to mind. And I realize that this summer is burned into my head more than I know. Love you, girl.

    ReplyDelete